Monday, January 4, 2010

The Busy Tailor

.
“I’m quite too busy sir, I’m very sorry.” The city’s finest tailor looked at the city’s best dressed man with regret. “Next month perhaps?” He turned back to his broom.

The man doffed his fedora and shook his head. “I must have it in two weeks. Perhaps an assistant would be beneficial?”

The tailor grimaced. “No, indeed. Many a fine lad has offered his help, but I cannot afford such an expense.”

The city’s best dressed man left the shop of the city’s finest tailor, disappointed. Across the street he saw the sign: Your next favorite suit in 7 days. Guaranteed.

He crossed the street and was warmly welcomed by city’s newest tailor. As they discussed fabric, fit, and cut, the man observed a young man busily sewing buttons, pressing and wrapping a suit, cleaning up, and then arranging materials for the next garment.

The man inquired. “You can afford an assistant?”

The new tailor looked astonished. “I can’t afford not to have one, sir. I fit and cut and sew your suit like nobody else can. I’m the tailor. He does the rest.”

The city’s best dressed man did indeed receive his next favorite suit in seven days. The city’s newest tailor acquired a coveted client. And the city’s newest tailor became the city’s favorite tailor, because of his simple principle:

“In my signature skill lies my greatest value. All else is a waste of my time.”

Paying the right person to do the job right is not a waste of money.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment